John Andrew Boone
Birth: Dec 6, 1895 in Floyd Co, VA
Death: Sep 18, 1963 in Salem, Roanoke Co, VA
Burial: in Sherwood Memorial Park, Salem, VA
Gender: M
Father: View Family Sheet Charles Emmett Boone born Oct 18, 1871 in Floyd Co, VA
Mother: Mary Odessa Aldridge born Feb 19, 1878 in Floyd Co, VA
Family #1: View Family Sheet Lelia Fauntleroy Grasty
Marriage: Feb 18, 1922 in Lynchburg, VA
Family #2: View Family Sheet Viola Marie Bush
Marriage: Oct 30, 1929
Notes: The following was written by Mary Elizabeth Boone Simmons, age 76, daughter of John
Andrew Boone.

My daddy was born in 1895, the first of the twelve children of Charlie and Odessa Aldridge
Boone. Granny Boone used to say that he was a darling baby; they would pass him around in
Church so that people could hold him, and he loved it.

He was called Andy and sometimes J. A., by family and friends; a born extrovert and
raconteur, a real southern-style story and tale-teller, delighting the folks with his humor and

In World War I, Andy served in the rugged Combat Engineers, landed with the American
Expeditionary Forces in France and participated in several campaigns, notably the Meuse
Argonne offensive where he was gassed and wounded by the Germans.

He was discharged from the U. S. Army in 1919, after contracting tuberculosis and spent
many months recuperating at the Mt. Regis Sanitarium in Salem, Virginia, cared for by Dr.
Everette Watson, himself a tubercular. After Andy's release from Mt. Regis, Dr. Watson
advised him to find work in some type of outdoor activity, whereupon Andy secured a position
with the State of Virginia, becoming Roanoke County's first Game, Dog and Fire Warden,
three hats which he was eminently qualified for, since he loved hunting and fishing, loved
animals and was an ecologist long before the term became popular.

Andy was first married to Lelia Fauntleroy Grasty, of St. Just, Virginia in Orange County.
They had two children, Mary Elizabeth in 1923 and Harry Andrew in 1926. These were the
days before antibiotics and there was little or nothing available to treat respiratory diseases, a
calamity which befell Lelia. She died of the flu and double pneumonia in 1929. Of course, a
heartbreaking experience for that little family just getting started in life.

Their grief and shock was greatly ameliorated when Andy's sister, Vivian, her husband
Dewey, and their three little boys came down to Salem and lived with the family until Andy's
second marriage. Mary Elizabeth carried sweet memories of Vivian and Dewey's stay for the
rest of her days, as did Harry.

Andy then married Viola Bush of New London, in Bedford County. They had one child,
Margaret Anne, born in 1930. Viola died at the age of 85 in 1995.

Andy's job afforded him three weeks vacation each year, very unusual in those days and he
took full advantage of it. Two weeks were spent every August at Deltaville on the
Rappahannock River, at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Deltaville was a fisherman's
paradise. The bay was teeming in every kind of salt water fish, and the children in addition to
learning how to fish had a wonderful time swimming in the surf, walking through the
community of Fishing Bay and eventually learning all about the permanent and summer
residents of the community, developing life-long friendships. All of this they looked back on
with the greatest pleasure.

Andy said that some of his happiest days were when he would return from a squirrel hunt,
and could produce five squirrels, one for each family member and each could have a squirrel
brain for himself.

Andy was a gregarious person, a member of the Masonic Lodge, a Shriner, an American
Legionnaire, and a member of the WWI Forty and Eight society (so named for the French rail
cars that could carry forty men and eight horses). He was very musical, could play the piano,
Jews harp and guitar. He had a fine baritone voice and loved to sing.

Andy died in 1963 at the age of 67, of heart disease and other complications. We loved
him so very much, never in our opinion was there a sweeter father on earth. My Aunt Emma
Grasty used to tell me that when I was about four or five, I told him that "when I grow up I
will fix a fried chicken dinner for you and I will say 'help yourself, little Daddy'", which of
course provoked much laughter all around.

Even thirty-seven years after his death, I think of him and recall with pleasure what a
wonderful person he was. Although he has passed from the scene, he is alive and active in my
memory and will never die as long as I am living.

Note added by Mary Frances Conner Williams:
Andy loved to garden and was an expert at grafting fruit trees. He also liked to make wine and
kept bees.